Grand River Wildlife Area Acreage Grows Thanks to Successful Partnership


06/01/16

« Back

AWS in the News

AKRON- OH - Thanks to generous donations from the Trumbull County Federation of Sportsman's Clubs, the Northern Ohio Chapter of the American Woodcock Society, the National Wild Turkey Federation, and the Mosquito Creek Chapter of Whitetails Unlimited, a total of 21.43 acres of land adjacent to Grand River Wildlife Area (GRWA) was recently purchased according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).

The four partner organizations to the ODNR Division of Wildlife fully covered 25% (over $8,000) of the land acquisition costs. The remaining 75% of the purchase price was paid with federal aid reimbursable funds acquired through the Pittman-Robertson Act.

Members of the Northern Ohio Chapter of the American Woodcock Society presenting ODNR Division of Wildlife with a $4000 check
Members of the Northern Ohio Chapter of the American Woodcock Society,
and Regional Director Lisa Rossi, presenting ODNR Division of Wildlife with a $4000 check.

This purchase will square off our current landholdings as well as help to bridge the gap between the northern and southern parcels at GRWA. The new parcel will add a young forest component in order to diversify the wet forest that encompasses much of GRWA.

Ohio DNR Grand River Wildlife Area 2016 Addition
Acquired parcel

To learn more about Grand River Wildlife Area as well as other public wildlife areas go to wildohio.gov.

ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.

For more information, contact:
Wildlife Management, ODNR Division of Wildlife
330-644-2293
 


Note: Since 1991, RGS has supported prior purchases of other Ohio wildlife areas such as Woodbury, Egypt Valley, and Tri-Valley totaling over $113,000. More information about Ohio's wildlife areas...

Mission Statement

Established in 1961, the Ruffed Grouse Society is North America's foremost conservation organization dedicated to preserving our sporting traditions by creating healthy forest habitat for ruffed grouse, American woodcock and other wildlife. RGS works with landowners and government agencies to develop critical habitat utilizing scientific management practices.

Join & Renew

Sign Up

Corporate Sponsors